Mission and Goal:To cultivate professionals with pharmacological and toxicological knowledge and research capabilities
1. Basic knowledge and technique in pharmacology and toxicology
2. Concept of logical thinking, analysis and problem solving
3. Ability of English literature review, commentary, and presentation
Mission and Goal: To cultivate pharmacological and toxicological professionals with logical analysis and independent research ability
1. Advanced Pharmacology and toxicology research knowledge and ability
2. Ability of logical thinking, analysis and problem solving
3. Ability of English literature review, commentary, presentation and writing
*The foreign students can apply to Office of International Affairs for full fellowship.
The fellowship will cover the tuition fee and dormitory fee and
provide a monthly stipend for living expenses.
Summary of the history of Master Program and PhD Program in Pharmacology and Toxicology:
1.Date of granting the M.S. program for the Institute of Toxicology: 1998
2.Date of changing the name to the Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology: 2001
3.Date of granting the Ph.D. program: 2006
4.Date of merging with School of Medicine and changing the name to Master Program and PhD Program in Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medicine: 2011
Because of the progressive worsening of the drug abuse condition and contamination of the environment by a variety of chemicals in our nation, the proposal to establish an Institute of Toxicology in our University was submitted to the Ministry of Education in 1996. The proposal was granted in 1998. Since toxicology and pharmacology are intimately related and, in order to strengthen and expand our research activities, the institute was granted to change the name to Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology by the Ministry of Education in 2001.With the expansion of our faculty member, the solid experience of training master degree students, and the achievements in research, the doctoral program was granted by the Ministry of Education in 2006.
Currently the program has 7 full time faculty members and 5 faculty members with joint appointment, consisting of 6 professors, 1 associate professor and 5 assistant professors. Our program also includes 1 adjunct professor. The students can select one of the faculty members of the Program as a major research advisor according to their research interest. The students can also select one of faculty members (including clinical doctors) in School of Medicine as a co-advisor. Our research activities use cell cultures, in vitro preparations and animal models to study drugs of abuse, environmental toxicants, anticancer drugs, natural drugs and cardioprotective agents. A few topics involved the cooperation of clinical research on topics such as pharmacogenetics. To find out more the research field of each faulty member in details please refers to his/her CV and bibliography.
The master program and PhD program in Pharmacology and Toxicology offer master and doctoral degrees with research fields emphasis on nervous system, cardiovascular-renal system, and cancer. Currently the program has more than 10 faculty members. Our research activities use cell cultures, in vitro preparations and animal models to study drugs of abuse, environmental toxicants, anticancer agents, natural drugs, and the signaling mechanisms of pathophysiological processes of cardiac, kidney and CNS diseases. The program is equipped with modern biomedical instruments and a university-wide core facility.
The curriculum consists of
(1) the core courses: pharmacology, toxicology, and techniques in biomedical research.
(2) common courses: experimental design, thesis writing, and seminar.
(3) electives: many biomedical-related courses are available within the institute or from other institutes within the campus. Our program accepts 14 master degree and 4 doctoral students. In addition, the program also accepts qualified foreign applicants. We welcome any comments that you may have for our program.
The purpose of our program is to train master and doctoral students in the fields of biomedical sciences, in particular, pharmacology and toxicology. We welcome any comments that you may have for our program.